Saturday, August 18, 2012

Flying Overhead

Favorite prompt from this week. Tell me what you think.


I’ve always hated the way dried grass feels on my skin. So prickly and scratchy and hard. Dried grass was ugly too, yellow and brown instead of cheerful green. But during summer, the field in which my friends and I hung out was never able to receive hydration. The sweltering rays of the sun soaked the life out of that field. Yet we still went there, to talk and sit. This happened nearly every day of summer.
                We only stayed there when it was the four of us. Addie, Kelly, Georgia and myself. We’d sit, and then either smoke or drink, depending on what Addie could sneak behind her parent’s backs. The tiny bottles of rum Addie brought us were hardly enough to get us drunk, but we still would lie back in the yellow, prickly grass, dazed while we spoke of boys and summer while watching the endless blue sky.
                Things were ending for all of us. It was our senior year, and we’d all gotten accepted into different colleges. Addie was heading down to South Cali—she would definitely fit in there, with her glamour and all. Kelly was going east, to Virginia. She’d received a design major, something she’d always worked hard for. I was proud of her, I really was. But I didn’t want her to go. None of us did. I had been accepted into a college up in Seattle. I never had much of an idea what I wanted to do in life, other than to leave my small town behind.
                As for Georgia, she preferred to stay. She had chosen to attend the local community college to stay close to her family. She’d always been the odd one out in the group. She rarely drank, never smoked, and had a chipper, positive attitude that I just wanted to smack out of her. She was innocent, with no real aspirations other than to get married and start a family. Nothing was wrong with that, of course, but that was a bit traditional for my tastes.
                We had a total of eleven days left with each other, probably forever. While we’d been close high-school friends, it was a sort of silent agreement we’d made that we’d drift apart. At first, we would forget to call on each other’s birthdays. Then, the Thanksgiving invitations would get “lost” in the mail. And finally, phone numbers would be deleted from our cell phones, after months of unanswered calls. It was bittersweet, really, but we understood that the friendships we’d spent four years building would only hold us back in the long run. It was a matter of accepting, now.
                As we sat back and watched jets from the nearby airport fly overhead, we were probably thinking the same exact thing.
                Time moves so damn fast.
                “Look at em,” Georgia said, her Texan drawl growing more apparent from the rum-spiked Sprite she’d been drinking. “Those planes are going so fast.” Georgia always became more giggly whenever she was drinking. It was kinda funny, especially when any cute boy was around. Little hill-billy Georgia got her flirt on. This was probably the sole reason she refused to drink unless we were here, in our special field.
                “They’re cool,” I smiled, looking towards her freckled face and big blue eyes. She really belonged in Texas. She was the cute little cowgirl with her cowgirl boots and her worn-out jeans and her pigtail braids. Sometimes it was really hard to tell she was about to go out into the big bad world of adulthood. She was just the time of person I wanted to constantly protect, to hold her hand and pack her lunch and tell her that everything was going to be alright, even if it wasn’t. She was our little Georgia.
                “I wanna be a pilot.” Georgia said then.
                It must have been the alcohol—because I suddenly burst out in giggles. That triggered more laughter from Addie and Kelly, of course. “Why?” I asked.
                “Imagine,” Georgia turned on her side, so she was looking at me. I watched her, silently. Perhaps it was because she sounded serious. Georgia never acted serious. “You could go where ever you wanted, whenever you wanted. You can see the world. You can see everything. It’s…it’s like everything is boundless and wonderful and perfect.”
                I watched another jet streak past. I couldn’t help but agree with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment