Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Music Obsession, August

So lately I've been listening to a lot of Vampire Weekend. They're a fairly well-known band, consisting of four guys. And I am in love with them.


Picture found here: http://catbirdseat.org/beta/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/vampire_weekend.jpg

Well, no.

I'm in love with a few of their songs. I've been listening to A-Punk, Cousins, Walcott, and The Kids Don't Stand a Chance so much this month that it's unhealthy. I don't really understand why. Before now I was never a really big fan of Vampire Weekend. Maybe it's because their fast-talking, ineligible words seemed a little too much for my pre-teen mind. Also, when I was that age, I totally wasn't used to Ezra Koenig's potty mouth.

But now that I'm in high-school and now that I hear (and speak) curse words on a daily basis, I'm totally unfazed by the use of words like "shit" and "fuck."

Vampire Weekend is on the top five list of my ultimate favorite indie bands.

Here are a few of my favorite lyrics from my favorite songs.

Cousins:

Interest in colors I discovered myself,
If your art-life is gritty you'll be toastin' my health,
If an interest in culture you should be linin' the walls,
When your birthright is interest, you could just accrue it all.

Walcott:

Walcott, don't you know that it's insane,
Don't you wanna get out of Cape Cod?
Out of Cape Cod tonight.

Walcott, mystic seaport is that way,
Don't you know that your life could be lost,
Out of Cape Cod tonight.

A-Punk:

A thousand years on one piece of silver,
She took it from his lily white hand,
Showed no fear, she'd seen the thing,
In the Young Men's Wing at Sloan-Kettering.

The Kids Don't Stand A Chance:

A devastating backstroke
All the way from France
With shiny, shiny cufflinks
A shirtsleeve to enhance

The pin-striped men of morning

Are coming forward to dance
With pure Egyptian cotton
The kids don't stand a chance


And there you are. Vampire Weekend, Music Obsession for the month of August. Stay tuned for more of my favorite bands!

No comments:

Post a Comment